TravelersAdda.com • View topic - Kolkata-Puri Road Trip

Kolkata-Puri Road Trip

Share your rides, bike trips etc here.

Kolkata-Puri Road Trip

Postby suryajit » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:01 pm

After a long time and so many unsuccessful tries, finally we made another trip – A ROAD TRIP to PURI (Odisha).

Friday 26th August, 2011, early morning, it was raining but not that hard, started the trip on 5:15 from at home with Swati (my wife) on my Bike (FZ-16). Plan was to reach Puri by covering 520 kilometers in 14 hours but reached little faster in 12 hours. Sometimes it was raining hard which was making us slower and at the same time beautifying the nature. I never thought anything even near to the beauty we saw during Sikkim road trip. The reason to select Puri was to ride on a super deluxe road for a long time. But along with the road, the gift was lush green sceneries with green hills having clouds on the top. Most of the time sky was leaking little which was making the trip more beautiful. The plan was to take a small 10 – 15 minute break after each 1 hour and a long break for 1 hour during lunch. But we were actually taking less than 10 minutes break after every1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours. This was surprising to me that Swati was on her first ever big road trip and she was not getting tired. Actually I realize I was riding with the best pillion I ever met. Too much energetic, sporty and understanding of riding was making her a proper pillion. Even during the few miles to reach Puri she was not tired at all. Not too much navigation is required for this trip but whatever was required was taken care by Swati. Even after returning back she was not that tired. Good for my biking future!!!

Stayed at Hotel Park on the beach, where the hotel denied giving us the sea facing room. Swati asked them for a parking. They say “… no car parking. Sorry!”. She said we do not need a car parking but a parking area for bike. The hotel agreed to provide a parking place for bike. At the hotel reception, looking on our IDs (Driving license and Voter ID), the hotel manager asked, “Are you guys coming from Kolkata?”. We said, “Yes, we are. And you are not able to provide us even a sea facing room!”. It was strange that the Manager managed to provide a sea facing room. That was because of this road trip or bike or what, we do not know.

We saw entire Puri on bike, enjoyed the beach and visited the Jagnnath Temple there. It gives a feeling of being a local guy when standing out of Puri Temple on bike.

We started at 7:15 in the morning on 30th August 31, 2011 the return journey by the same way. We were a little tired at the beginning but as we crossed Bhubaneswar we started regaining the energy as we knew that we’ll see the road side raw nature again. During crossing the river Mahanadi - a 2300 m long bridge, our speed was around 15 kmph and staring the beauty of the hills from there. After Kolaghat we started getting tired again and it takes too long to reach home which was 65 kilometers from there. Lot of traffic was making us slow and the time making us tired. Finally we reached home little before 7 at evening. Total kilometers covered during this trip was 1140.

Before leaving home everyone at home, relatives and neighbors were asking the same question “On bike!!! What about train? Buses are also available!”. But nobody was thinking how I wanted to see it, how I wanted to feel it, how I wanted to represent it. Whenever everyone at home feels okay with that, relatives and neighbors were ready to spoil everything again. But finally all went well and believe me this trip worth much-much more than what we have expected… This was our dream which came true and I started dreaming again. Jai Jagannath...
suryajit
Site Admin

Return to Your Rides