TravelersAdda.com • View topic - Kolkata - Sikkim Road Trip

Kolkata - Sikkim Road Trip

Share your rides, bike trips etc here.

Kolkata - Sikkim Road Trip

Postby suryajit » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:23 am

It was 14 May 2010, 14th May - my birthday, I gifted myself an evergreen memory; An approximately 1500 km trip; A Kolkata-Sikkim-Road Trip.

It was being a dream for a long trip on bike, reaching somewhere which is not supposed to reach by Bike. After quite a time, with the help of xKmph, I finally found a team to make this dream true. Also struggled a lot at office, finally my Manager was kind enough to approve my two days leave.

Friday evening around 5, I, Joe (Subhajyoti), Sam (Soumajit) started it from nearby my office which is 60 kms from my home. After office, I was charged enough and encouraged by collogues. There after Avik catch us on the way near Kolkata Airport. Where we were deciding which road we should take, we opted the longer but smoother one NH2 instead of NH34. When passed Bhardhaman, unfortunately we faced a strong storm which make us quite exhausted. We were deadly wet and were running late from the planned. We decided to continue whole night, which was not a good idea. After having dinner near Panagarh (Durgapur), we take right turn from Darjeeling More and continued crossing a calm, wet dark jungle. How it looks? Only they can say who have faced it. Another unfortunate thing was that, we are running out of fuel and no Pump was agreed to do the refill. They fear of Dacoits. Finally we get success to make one ready for refilling by giving him 100 bucks extra.

We continued whole night with another 15 minutes break at 3 am at a Dhaba for tea. Next morning at around we take a hotel room for getting fresh and to take a half an hour sleep. Then we again jump on the road and, finally we reached Siliguri by Saturday evening. We were feeling very tired at places during this journey. There the xKmph guys were ready to welcome us. They arranged a hotel for us. Avik’s wife Saswati was waiting there to join us. She went there by Bus. We ended the day with a good dinner with Joe, Sam and Tanny (Tanmoy – a student at that time) who joined us at Siliguri.

Next morning there was a Bandh called in West Bengal. But the xKmph guys took the responsibility to cross us the Bengal Sikkim border. They continued with us up to the border. Only one mountain cum biking lover can understand the feeling of facing such beauty. We continued on the Highways of Sikkim, eating Momo and shooting photographs till Gangtak. We had our reservation in the hotel which unfortunately canceled due to reaching one day late. We took a runtime decision and take a U-Turn to Ravangla (Sikkim). We continued till Ravangla – a crazy road, high inclines and poor road conditions. The bad luck continues and we faced Rain again at an altitude greater than 6000ft. We reach Ravangla at evening, chilled out of the cold but still had courage and energy to see new places and beauty of nature. At Mt. Narsing Village Resort, we spent our night, chatting and discussing endless topics. During this trip I was missing my pillion Swati (Swatilekha – my wife).

Next morning, we woke up early to see the Kanchenjunga and do some photography. The beauty captured in mind still has more colors than the digital photographs I have. After all the photography and sightseeing we finish our breakfast (Puri-Sabzi) and started return journey. This time we took different route, via Namchi, Melli. One thing I understand, unlike other journeys, bike journey covers much more places to see. While we were busy at refilling our bike, a college guy on a modified Karizma, from Namchi College came and started asking us to visit there college once. They have collected the information somehow about our Sikkim visit, which was a good thing to hear for us.

We continued photography at different places. Avik on other hand was in hurry to reach Siliguri as his wife had to catch a Bus to Kolkata. We were back to Siliguri by 7 PM. We stayed at Tanny’s place where we had some food and started the return journey again. We started at 1 am. Due to poor road condition one of our bikes got some damage and it could not be ridden up to next 500 kms to Kolkata. Two of us including me stayed at middle of the Jungle, fearing the Cheetahs and Elephants. Finally all went well and we back home happily but were too tired by next night. As it was my first ever long road trip, there was a lot to learn from that trip. This was how I ended my first ever long road trip with endless memories.

Very soon I'll be doing such trip again and this time I'll not miss my pillion.
suryajit
Site Admin

Return to Your Rides