TravelersAdda.com • View topic - Hike with kids & family

Hike with kids & family

A place to plan a trip with other members of Travelers Adda or suggest places to visit. This is also a place to share ideas on new places, weekend destinations and all kind of travel tips.

Hike with kids & family

Postby ayushman » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:12 am

I am planning to go for a family trip to Sandakphu. This means that kids and non hikers will accompany me. Also, though I have hived fairly difficult terrain before I am not sure how much I myself can duplicate my performance which has been rusting in the dungeons of full-time desk-job for 10+ years.

The whole target is to introduce the kids to the joy of being alone in the wilderness where you learn how to respect yourself and the powers of nature.

The realistic target I have is to reach a spot fairly easlily and go for a subsequent number of day hikes with progressively increasing difficulty but at the same time having a secure bail out plan in case things starts to get out of hand.

Please suggest. Suggestions of alternate hiking sights are acceptable too. Total duration (CCU-CCU via train/road) <= 5 days.

Thanks
Every place is a walking distance....
....if you have the time.
ayushman

Re: Hike with kids & family

Postby kaustav.ganguly » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:09 pm

You can avail land rovers to go to Sandakphu and Phalut, but the journey is terrible bcoz of the road condition especially for kids.
Alternatively you can go to Versey (valley of rhododendrons). A probable route can be as follows -

NJP -> Jorethang (by car)
Jorethang -> Ribdi (by car)
Ribdi -> Hilley (by car)
Hilley -> Versey (4 km trek 1.5 hours)

Here is a short description of versey:
Varsey is spread across an area of 104 sq. km along the Singalila Ridge which forms the natural boundary between India and Nepal. The dense forest of Varsey is covered with hemlocks, silver firs, magnolia and rhododendron trees and bushes.
kaustav.ganguly
Ghumakkar

Postby ayushman » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:04 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. The place looks nice, but I was looking more at a longer hike, say typically starting at 6 A.M. and ending just around 3 P.M. walking at medium pace. Also preferably a place where there are multiple such circular routes. This will enable me to do different routes on different days.

Also understand that I do not want to meet any maoist or bear on the way ;)

Please let me know if I am asking for too much.
Every place is a walking distance....
....if you have the time.
ayushman

Postby manojit.pati » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:27 pm

You can try different short trek routes from following site.

http://www.sikkimtourismuttarey.com/trek-ininerary-thumki-danra-trek-achalley-trek.html
manojit.pati
Global Moderator

Return to Trip Ideas